Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2015

My Mom's Cucumbers and Cream Recipe

I was frying chicken and was thinking of something refreshing to go with it since it was such a hot day (90 degrees) I know, I know some of you will say Hot?(well for Michigan that is hot), annyway I remembered my Mom making these cucumbers and cream all summer long.  They are delicious, cool and creamy!

So here we go~~


Get some cucumbers from your garden (if you have one) or if you live in the frozen tundra for gardening like we do and don't have cucumbers on the vine, just use little ones from the store.  I used 10 for this recipe. You will also need a sweet onion (I used a vidalia which are my favs) and cut into a medium dice, also heavy cream or half and half, vinegar (any kind except red wine vinegar, unless you want pink cucumbers and cream  lol ), sea salt, sugar and pepper.



Peel and slice your cucumbers into slices like this.  







Now layer them in a bowl with the chopped onion and add a sprinkle of sea salt on each layer and keep going until you have all the cucumbers sliced and layered with the onions and salt.



Now get a plate that will fit inside your bowl and turn it upside down on top of the layers and set it aside on the counter.  Let it sit for about an hour so the cucumbers will give up some liquid and get wilted.



After an hour, take the bowl to the sink and drain out the liquid while pushing down on the plate. (If you want to lower the sodium of the final dish, you can now rinse and drain the whole mess o" cucumber love but I just leave it the way it is.)  Get your vinegar, I used this white wine one today but it is delicious with apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, or rice wine vinegar.    I used about 10 small cucumbers and 3/4 ths of a medium size onion and I have about 4 cups of veggies, so I started with a third cup of vinegar and I just poured it on the cuke-onion mix.  Then pour in about three-fourths of the cream.  I used this......



But you can pour the whole thing in if you want it thinner consistancy.  It is a pint. I then add more salt (yes really because your cream mix needs a little salt love now.)     So salt to taste, add some black pepper and a couple teaspoons of sugar if you like it a little sweeter.  Stir and taste and adjust seasonings as desired.  Put into the fridge for at least an hour to chill.  Serve.  (It is really good and is better the next day after the flavors have had more time to blend.



OHHHH, it is SSSOOO good!!!  I remember my aunt used to make this from her spotless fresh cream right from the cream separator.  Those were the days!!  She was such a good cook......homemade bread and butter, homemade dill pickles...  The best pickles I ever tasted in my life were hers!!!  I miss her!!  She was a great lady!!  Boy, my mouth is watering just thinkin about her cookin'...........But for now I guess it's time for supper...........fried chicken, glazed carrots, cucumbers & cream and rolls with homemade lemonade...Yumm..........!

I hope you have a good evening.

Blessings ~~Annabell


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message.....